Tuesday, June 26, 2007

It's worth it


I've really struggled lately with my growth process as a leader.

It is one of the hardest things when you see things other people can't see and aren't willing to change. Being involved with leading things this year has been one the most rewarding things ever. Coming up with an idea, expanding it, making it happen and seeing people's lives changed or impacted in the end is by far one of the greatest things I have done.

Though, sometimes dealing with people or circumstances that you cannot change or are not able to do on your own is incredibly difficult.


I found myself walking along the road tonight in very cold weather (mid winter), dark skies and alot of unanswered questions. It's funny how when you get to end of yourself, God shows up and says or does exactly the thing you need most.

Leadership at times can be a real lonely place and at times feels like nobody even understands what you're carrying. Amongst my emotions and full head I realised something that completely changed the way I felt.

I realised God sees what I see.

God feels what I feel.

God goes through what I go through.

My mind was immediately reminded of the anguish Jesus went through in the garden of Gethsemane. His whole emotions, physical body, mind space and spirit was in complete overload at the knowledge of the cross.

"My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death," he said to them.

Jesus saw what others didn't see. Yet, He powered on towards what He knew what needed to be done. He knew that although people didn't understand what He was going through at the time of Gethsemane and all the way through to His death, it was worth it.

I realised at that moment somewhere between taking one foot off the ground and putting the other down that it's worth it. Leadership at times feels lonely, unthanked and unseen... but it's worth it. Serving even when nobody sees or acknowledges you - it's worth it. Praying for your unsaved friends even when you haven't seen any
results for a while - it's worth it. Staying integral in the secret or in the place of temptation - it's worth it.

Jesus understood that even though the cross was going to cost Him everything he had it was still worth it. I'm sure that even when He was hanging there slowly, loosing all strength and ability to stay alive, He saw the purpose.

It's worth it for the people around you to come to a knowledge of Jesus or to grow closer in their relationship with Him. It's worth it for the people who are one day going to look at your life and be hit with the power of pushing on. It's worth it for the church to become more effective in reaching the world.


It's worth it for the chance for people to know the Creator of the world,

the Saviour of mankind,

and its worth it for people to meet the One who can transform lives to a place of worth, purpose and salvation.



6 comments:

Jeanette said...

That's really good what your'e saying:) It is worth it:) Especially when you're standing before God, none of your hard work will be forgotten:) I think there are a lot of people in your life that you may think you mean nothing to, but you actually do. And I just wanna encourage you when I say that I don't think leadership is meant to be a lonely place, don't accept that, there r other ppl on the same wavelength as you. I've heard how leadership can be lonely quite a lot and I'm just worried that it's becoming an accepted fact. I'm interested in hearing more about what you mean before I strongly say that. But yea as u said, God sees and you'll never be lonely with Him in your heart.

I'm thinking that God never intended you to feel burdened, lonely or tired...thats what Jesus took off you when He died for us. And yea the whole time I was reading your post this scripture came to mind so I'm guessing I should write it down lol.

1 John 5:3
This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome,
1 John 5:2-4 (in Context) 1 John 5 (Whole Chapter)

However, it's the hard times that really make us grow, and as you said, we lose life to gain life. And Perseverence builds character so yea, I think the main point is, is that you don't let burdens pull you down all the time, just remember to give it to God.

The Scragster said...

Yeaha first comment :)

Thats realy cool.

Im not a man of many words. So ill keep this short.

But I just wanted to say what you said is spot on. You're doing awesome. Keep rocking on :)

BTW: The racing is on again tonight :)

-Euan-

Clive Smit said...

Welcome to leadership big guy : )

John Maxwell said, "Its lonely at the top... so take people with you."


It is so true that we are never alone, that we never carry a burden by ourselves... why is it that we are so slow on the uptake that God is with us every step of the way!

Good writing brother... keep those thoughts flowing!

Clive Smit said...

Hey bro...

where do you paste the html for the web counter?
I just don't want to stuff anything up

Jeremy Sargent said...

Hey Rhys,what a great discovery you have made!
yes leadership demands at times to go alone to press in and push through for others to follow behind us
what has really helped is to share these thoughts with other leaders ,they may have other passions ,other dreams than yours however thier experiences will be common .
i identify with you ,and so will many others
yes lonelyness is part ofthe pacjake at times..,but its not a fullstop its a comma!!

Thier is great privelledge in leadership,great honour from God,great fullfilment and satisfaction to know you are doing what you were born to do

Like John Maxwell said
Success is helping yourself
Significance is helping others

Bless you
Jeremy

Rhys said...

Hey guys, thanks heaps for all your encouraging words :) It's great to hear your advice and encouragement about leadership.

It seems abit from what you're saying that there's a difference in leadership when it comes to being the person who carries the vision (some call it 'burden' maybe not right use of word here though) but not being lonely because of it.

Very interesting and perspective changing points that I'll keep thinking more about and hopefully post some more on it :)

Thanks