Sunday, April 27, 2008

Indy: Adventure man.


Ok so I'm mega excited about the next Indiana Jones movie.

I remember one of the first times I watched Indiana Jones - it was the 1981 movie titled the "Raiders of the Lost Ark". It was an intermediate's interactive movie night with lolly snakes and hiding under blankets when Indy is in a cave. Great memories.
I used to love watching Indiana Jones with my dad or with my family - all the adventures he went on and although always coming off the hero, he always made you feel as though, with a bit of effort, you could be just like him. I reckon one the reasons Indiana Jones went off the scales as one of the greatest trilogies of all time, is because Indy is the personification of every little kid's dream of what they want to be when they grow up. He's not some Martial Arts expert or old school Schwarzenegger loaded with enough ammo and grenade launchers to blow New Zealand apart; he was an archeologist who just happened to find himself in adventures he didn't expect.

I think from the moment we build our first fort or hut from the lounge couches, bed sheets and library books, something comes alive deep inside. Something that cannot be explained other than wanting to be apart of something that gets our adrenaline pumping, blood flowing and our nerves twitching. I can't count the amount of times I've wanted to be on some adventure in the trees or jumping between buildings - a sort of desire to experience excitement that isn't made from a tv and console but from pushing the limits of the unknown.

The reason I like why Spielberg and Lucas have brought out another Jones movie despite a near 20 year gap, is because it shows this feeling and desire hasn't faded one bit. People today are just as excited and amped about the possibility of adventure as they were when the first Jones movie came out in 1981. There is something within each of us, displayed differently between male and female, that desires some sort of adventure.
Breaking out of normality and stepping into the exciting, dangerous, scary, thrilling, colourful, pioneering adventure.

I think we need to intentionally keep putting ourselves in environments where we have to experience those. I think we come alive when we do. And, as one person so wisely said, "the world needs people who have come alive." I agree.
So, come 22 May I shall be on my way to see one of the most anticipated movies this year - "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull".

1 comment:

Sam said...

Dude! No way!

Apparently we both started blogging with no idea that the other was doing the same. Very cool. Good job man.